Smartphones are a key part of our daily activities, and if you’re a frequent PC user, you will find yourself connecting your phone quite frequently. If you connect your phone to your computer frequently, you will find it quite frustrating to have to switch to the specific USB settings you use each time. Fortunately, it is quite easy to change USB preference settings on Android phones. This will make you change the default USB settings to the one that you use frequently every time you’re connected.
The USB settings on Android phones help to determine how your phone will act when connected to a computer via USB. There are different settings, whether you just want to charge or send files, or send media only.
In this article, we’ll take you through the steps to change USB preference settings on Android devices.
Table of Contents
USB Preference Settings
As I said earlier, USB preference settings dictate how your phone behaves when connected to a computer. Below are some of the most common USB preference settings available on most Android phones now.
- 1. Charging Only (or No Data Transfer): This option restricts the connection to charging only. No data transfer or other functions are allowed.
- 2. Transfer Files (MTP): This setting allows you to transfer files between your Android device and the connected device, such as a computer. It’s needed to move photos, videos, music, and other files.
- 3. Transfer Photos (PTP): If you want to transfer only photos, you can select this option. It’s a great option for photographers and others who want to quickly send their pictures to their computer.
- 4. USB Tethering: This setting lets you share your Android device’s internet connection with another device, via USB. This is no longer common as most people prefer using mobile hotspots to share an internet connection.
Other options are available depending on the device you are using and the type of things it can support.
Now that you know the options, let’s get into how to change these settings on your Android device.
Change USB Preference Settings on Android
If you want to change USB preference settings on Android phones, follow the steps below.
When you connect your phone to a computer, you’ll receive a notification showing you the present USB settings. (Some will ask you to choose the type of USB setting for that connection). Tap the notification showing you the present USB settings, and you will change the USB settings to the one you want to use at that moment.
However, if you want to change USB preference settings on Android phones permanently, follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Open the Settings app on your phone, and scroll down, and tap System.
- Step 2: Tap on Developer Options. If Developer Options is not activated, go to Settings then go to About Phone, and tap on Build Number multiple times till you see a message confirming that Developer Options have been enabled.
- Step 3: In Developer Options, scroll down and tap Default USB configuration. You will see the several USB preference settings that are available on your phone.
- Step 4: Select the USB settings that you use frequently.
Viola! You have successfully changed the default USB preference settings on Android phones. This will save you the time you use to change your preferred USB settings every time you connect. Check out our article on how to access developer options.